Roofs are complex structures that are built to resist any weather and to protect the home underneath. All roofing components play their own, very important role – here are the most important components and what they do:
- The roof covering material – asphalt shingles, clay tiles, metal panels, wood shingles and slate are the most common materials used to build the topmost layer of roofs;
- Flashing – stripes of material installed in areas where two roof slopes meet or around chimneys and vents and they serve the purpose of waterproofing sensitive roof areas;
- Vents – they serve the ventilation of the attic and they are also there to make sure that no condense can build up underneath the roof;
- Decking – the layer on which the roof covering rests and which is used to make the roof solid and durable, if this gets damaged, you will to do a roof replacement Omaha roofers can do;
- Ridge – the topmost, horizontal line of the roof, usually covered with special protective material, such as ridge caps;
- Drip edge – the moulding at the edge of the roof that is installed to reduce the risks of water damage;
- The gutters – though not integral part of the roof, the gutter pipes that collect the water running down the roof slopes and direct the water away from the building.